February 3, 2021
Dear NACA Members, Sponsors, Supporters, and Friends,
Happy Chinese New Year from all of us here at the National Association of Chinese Americans–Atlanta (NACA)! Wish you and your family health, happiness, and prosperity in 2021, the Year of Metal Ox!
2020 was a year of tremendous challenges for us all due to COVID-19. However, we have made significant contributions despite the difficulties due to the pandemic. We want to thank you for your unwavering support as usual. NACA has further forwarded our Mission to Bridge Cultures, Build Leaders and Benefit Communities.
Before the lockdown, we continued our decades-long efforts to provide various supports with funds to local communities. We were fortunate to host a live Chinese New Year Banquet in 2020, during which we distributed endowment funds to Georgia Tech’s Shenzhen China campus and Georgia Perimeter College Nursing Program, as well as funds to the Good Shepherd Services serving children of refugees.
As the pandemic started to become more serious, we have raised funds from NACA members and sponsors, which enable us to have a significant positive impact on the COVID-19 relief efforts in our communities.
- Supported hospitals and frontline workers. Donate $5,000 to Mercy Care Atlanta. Deliver 75,000 surgical and N95 masks to various organizations, such as Emory Hospital, Grady Hospital, Saint Joseph Hospital, and Chamblee Police Department, to name a few.
- Donated $20,000 in total to Georgia State Students Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Sent a $5,000 to the Atlanta Food Bank to help provide up to 20,000 meals, purchase additional food, and add special mobile pantries. Donate $2,5oo to Dresden Elementary School to help feed the food- insecure families of the school.
- Donated $2,500 to Los Vecinos de Buford Highway to help families through the Rental Assistance Program and food distribution.
We have worked to initiate a resolution to recognize February 3, 2020, as China Day on the Georgia State Capitol.
We have mobilized and empowered Chinese American voters in the historic election year of 2020. As a 501(c) (3) nonprofit Chinese American organization, NACAconducted in a non-partisan manner for the “get-out-the-vote” drive in both the Presidential and Senatorial elections, increasing civic participation in the Chinese American community.
As we begin 2021, we have already started our efforts to support activities and programs that continue to align with our Mission to Bridge Cultures, Build Leaders, and Benefit Communities.
- Sponsor the cause of improving US-China relations. NACA proudly contributes $10,000 to fund the Carter Center Project of Seeking Common Ground between the United States and China: The Role of Civil Societies and NGOs.
- Donate $2,500 to Elaine Clark Center, a school that serves special needs kids from all over the metro area.
Feb. 12 marks the beginning of the Year of the Ox. The second animal of the Chinese zodiac, Ox denotes hard work, positivity, and honesty that will be manifested in all of us in the coming 12 months.
We will have upcoming virtual events such as 1) the Chinese New Year Celebration, and 2) our signature mentorship program. We will also continue our ongoing support for organizations in need of COVID-19 relief, and our contributions to a positive US-China relationship. More information on the two virtual events will be provided. Stay tuned!
Open your windows to allow good luck to come inside, light up the lanterns with new hopes and aspirations.
Happy Chinese New Year & Gong Xi Fa Cai!
With Warmest Regards,
Lani Wong, Chair & Christina Liao, President